View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: What is the best bike to build to sell?

Originally Posted by taddthewadd View Post
By the way SB I built one of your juice can tanks the other day and it came out sweet!
I'm not the one who came up with the idea, so credit should go to where it is due... Rockenstein of Canada. All I can take credit for is recognizing a good idea when I see it and then trying to do a good job of it.
I commend you for your concerns over selling a safe bike. I share them with you and try to imagine how I would feel if someone riding one of my bikes got killed because the brakes failed or the fender rolled. You can't hold the rider's hand and these are inherently on the dangerous side, but you can try to make sure it is reasonably safe. Every time I ride I am aware of how hard that pavement is, how unaware some of the drivers are and how what I am riding is essentially a bicycle never designed for a motor and sustained speed. As a sometimes builder I am aware of a bike's weak points, but will a buyer also be aware? I think we have to be aware for them. I have many times re-read and contemplated Norm's little saying at the end his posts... "Good bikes aren't cheap and cheap bikes aren't good." It is a dilemma, trying to make a good bike that is also inexpensive.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...