View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 12:38 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Re: Need some help with monarch replica front susp.

Originally Posted by sportscarpat View Post
Your still not quite right. Here is the stack up order. Shoulder bolt, swing arm, both big washers, fork leg, little washer, nylock. Also, the big washers that come with the forks are 1/2" on the I.D. and really need to be 7/16", and the 1/2" washers are too thick so the shoulder bolt cannot bottom on the shoulder. If the shoulder can't bottom out correctly then the fork locks up at the swing arms, rendering the forks without any spring action. As for that hub you have it will never work with these forks as the spoke flange width is too wide, causing the spokes to hit the nylocks. Standard cruiser width is 110mm or about 4 3/8". Monarks work at this width when the swing arms are properly flipped to the outside. You should find a different front wheel.
Well shoot, it doesn't make sense to me to find a new wheel since the whole point of using a vintage bike is "using a vintage bike". Maybe I'll try to make my own bolts and spacers that will fit. I read some people's posts about how they put their motorized bike together in a weekend. Mine is going on 10 months, (but hey, I've been sick).

Thanks to everyone for your help. God bless the United States of America!