View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Lower gearing options

I have a stinger 66cc with a SBP expansion chamber. I have a 38T and a 56T. For me the 38T was too fast and ran really crapy at low speeds. Then I put the 56T wanting to go off-road. What a world of difference. At all speeds the engine sings along beautifully. It almost takes off from a standstill without feathering the clutch and accelerates to top speed almost instantaneously. It runs great off-road and on-road. To me it is the perfect balance for both. I would estimate it runs around 15-18 mph at a comfortable rpm (not vibrating real bad, about 2/3 to 3/4 throttle) which is about as fast as I could go without the engine so brakes still are very efective.

When I was 20 years old I would have tried to make this bike go 50 mph and probably end up in the hospital but now I am 29, married, and have an 18 month old son. So now safety is more important and the bike is more reliable and safer at 15-18 mph with the 54T. It is also very good at climbing very steep dirt paths in the mountains (my bike is a mountain bike).

Hope this helps.