View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Tanaka 32cc Nitromethane Experiment

Originally Posted by Bikeguy Joe View Post
Just be very careful mixing alcohol based fuel with nitro to your two stroke mix....alcohol need roughly three times the volume to run as rich as gasoline. Too much and you are running very lean. Nitro effectively adds oxygen to the fuel causing it to run leaner still. Also, when mixing the airplane fuel, do you account for the 15% lubricant when adding your oil to the mix?

Tread lightly, as you seem to be doing, but be aware the "edge" is ahead in the fog you are travelling through.
I dont count for the NM lubricant so I am running rich on oil - but then, since I am running a hotter fuel its probably better to run with more lubrication.

I have since doubled the ratio of NM - and the simple answer is DONT. The engine is showing signs of running lean which for a 1 - 2mph inprovement is not worth it. However for those with a tanaka engine a 50mls/gallon mix of nitro fuel is worth it just for the improved starting.

If I had an adjustable carb it might be worth playing around with it, but as I dont and dont have the money for it - I will leave it at current levels

Jemma xx
"....Look, no pedals... *thud*..." The mating call of the motorized-biker.

"RetroEagle" - 32cc Two-Stroke, Piped. 35mph on #13 gear. Reversed stem with springer fork.