View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: What My Local Bike Shop Thinks....

Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
Spandex or not, they have a right to be there just as much as you do. If they bother you that much I suggest you take public transportation.

I wear spandex when I ride my pedal bike and the attitude I have seen here regarding those of us that ride pedal bikes for great distances while wearing the best clothing designed for those rides, is simply disgusting. With that attitude you are only alienating those who could be a really good ally.

Remember, you don't have to give someone the same kind of attitude that you get. This is called being a grown-up.
Good point and well said. The only time I kind of get down on the 'spandexers' is when I get a negative attitude and a kind of superior moral position, as if a motor on a bike were some kind of transgression to apologize for. If we want consideration and acceptance, then I guess we also have to give it. I'm not a long distance rider anymore and when I was as a young person there was no such thing as spandex, so it is something I really don't understand. What makes it good for long distance riding? Just curious.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...