View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Question Re: Operation OP ( the first build in progress )

Originally Posted by bairdco View Post
if you turn a coaster brake wheel around, when you pedal forward, the brake would go on. if you pedaled backwards, the bike would go backwards.

if you have a freewheel and turn it around, the bike would freewheel when you pedaled forward and go nowhere. (there was a funny video about that, where some guys turned the wheels and cranks around and left the bike unlocked in a bad neighborhood. kids would jump on it to steal it, try to pedal hard to take off, and just end up racking. it was hilarious.)

a fixed gear hub wouldn't work because if you turned it around the gears would un-thread themselves because they're threaded for the right side.

they do make a "dual drive" hub for BMX freestyle which can be used on the right or left (for the rider's preference, like "goofy foot" on a skateboard.) i'm looking into those, actually.
I see what you are saying about spinning backwards . It seemed that if the shaft comining out of the motor turns counterclockwise then it seems that the chain would turn counterclockwise and the rear wheel would be turning counterclockwise . I am glad I cleared that idea up , It can fool ya . Are the sprockets on the motor shafts 8 tooth 5/16 - 18 set screw #40 chain ? I hope I donít have to buy an sprocket for the motor .
P.S keep me updated on the '' goofy foot '' there has to be an easy way to go on this part of motorizing an bike .. what would yall say is the hardest part of motorizing ?