View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: 4g 2010 Delmar Fatboy

I'm also ordering some oilite bushings from Mcmaster-Carr to see if they make any difference. The stock bushing just doesn't seem very "oily". I don't trust the quality of the chinese bushing. Other than this clutch grabbing nuisance, I am really liking the way it rides. I have a Manic Mechanic 36 tooth sprocket in the back with the 11 tooth freewheel pulley so my final reduction is 5/1 x 36/11 = 16.36:1. I only pedal a few strokes to get going and I've had it going 36mph on the flats. It just cruises at 30mph. It's pretty flat here in Sacramento so no need for lower gearing. I will get the 10 tooth output shaft and sprocket when it becomes available and that should lower my top speed by 10% or 3.6 mph. I can live with a top speed of 32.5mph and it should help my starts. If it doesn't work out, I know I can get a 5/8 bore 11 tooth sprocket from Grainger. I hope my 11 tooth freewheel pulley holds up until then.

My next step is developing the alternator for this engine. I should get my laminated alternator core tomorrow and then the experimenting really begins!