View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Bearing Problems - Trying to identify/find parts

So there's actually three parts of my bearing that I found to be broken (rear wheel coaster brake). The bearing itself snapped 3 pieces which resulted in the balls and shrapnel flying everywhere inside the hub, but I got a replacement at the bike shop today. But there's also two other things broken:
  1. The cone-shaped nut that the brake arm supports is all chipped up where the bearing rides along
  2. The outer cap that goes right underneath the brake arm is cracked where it overlaps the outside of the hub. Kind of like a staircase-shaped washer.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, I included the attached picture for reference. What are the technical names for these parts, and where can I find them? The guy at the bike shop (kinda old guy, didn't speak much English) wasn't able to tell me. I'd hate to have to part with a perfectly good hub for 2 items that are worth about 5 bucks.

EDIT: The reason for all this is that I must have not shaved enough off the inner part of the sprocket, as it does make contact with the outer cap. I think that cracked, which made the bearing somehow get loose, brake apart, and the shrapnel from that cut up the cone-shaped nut. I rode it for probably +300 miles this way. Seemed fine, just made a lot of noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakepad_locking_assy_plus_axle.jpg (99.0 KB, 45 views)