View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: pull start for 2 stroke

Originally Posted by chopperjoe View Post
Well mounted up the no name engine and heavy pull start, engine started in about 25 feet, nice and smooth,as far as the pull start, it lasted 4 pulls and the cable would not rewind, tried to take it apart but the spring steel went flying, trying to get a refund or replacement, hopeing the second one wont have a problem. Had to heat up the crank and bend it about 3/4 inch to clear. Used a propane torch, was a little slow but worked. Had no clearance problem with pull start internals.
I wish I can count the times that I wound that spring back up! I have already installed a new one out of an old weed whacker. The second one, I bent just so, that when and if I need to pop that thing off, it will all hold together.

Another thing that broke on mine was that little metal nub that the spring pulls on when it's turning. I ended up putting a screw in that screws into a little brass thing that I ground down enough so it'd be small enough and jb welded it up......that won't break again.

You got the heavy duty pull start, eh? If you have it a part, can you post pics on the way they have that steel rope set up?
Don't feed the bears....