View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: Not so NOOB form MICHIGAN

Originally Posted by Alajoyn View Post
Howdy Thud.
I get to Muskegon/Whitelake area sometimes. Got a fellow vintage mercury outboard racer friend there. There are a few of us here in W.MI.
Welcome to the forum.

Portage/Kalamazoo, MI
Hey Robert,
When I was a boy I was a keen follower of small hydroplane boat racing. In those days Mercury outboards always won. it wasn't until much later that I learned why. I had a resort back in better days and a guest came with a vintage green Mercury 10 hsp. He had it out and was ripping up the lake like no 10 horse I'd ever seen. I was admiring it when he told me how Mercury won those races back when. I'm sure you know more about this than I do, but I learned from him that the ones destined to be race engines were bored out and modified so that the 7 1/2 was actually a 15 and the 10 was really a 20 horse. No wonder they won. It was great for advertising as all of us kids knew Mercury was "the best". I had a 2 1/2 hsp Martin. It wasn't the best, sniff. I remember when my brother had a big old ten horse Evinrude on a racing pram and it was the fastest boat on the lake. Now I see monster 150 hsp engines and have to wonder what the heck happened. On my lake people can go from one end to the other in about a minute and it kind of strikes me as overkill. Love old boats and still covet a green Mercury...
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...