View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: Friction Drive In The Rain

Oysterville what size drive roller do you have? Do you have hills or high winds?

I would go with a much bigger roller than the one inch if I had a more powerful motor. My Tanaka PF 3300 has 1.6 h.p. but that is at high rpm. At low revs it is much less. If I don't pedal (even on flat surfaces) the roller will slip. So I pedal most of the ride. If there are some spots that have just a damp road I can stop pedaling. Even with a damp road my speed must stay slow because the roller will slip with more throttle.

If the rain is falling while I'm riding the bicycle must be pedaled constantly or the roller will slip. In that case it is truly just an assist device instead of a motor propelled vehicle.

In another thread I found, the recommendation was to get plenty of JB Weld liquid and put it onto the roller with fine art grade sand in four coats. The caveat was that it will wear out a tire quickly.

This is an interesting suggestion. As of now the kit is too new to me to start experimenting. This is my primary means to get to work. I'm car free and have been for a while. The simplicity and lack of things to break on a friction drive are what made me switch away from my Golden Eagle kit that destroyed my wheel regularly.

I'm wondering how it will do in snow. Anybody ride on icy roads with snow using a friction kit? My original plan was to buy a friction kit as a stop gap measure to replace the Golden Eagle kit. Later I would buy a chain drive kit when I have more money. If a friction kit can work in winter then I might not bother to switch to a chain drive kit. I don't mind traveling at or less than 20 mph on snow. Even with my other kit in winter using my studded tires I wouldn't go much more than 20 mph.

Last edited by Smallwheels; 05-29-2010 at 10:59 PM.