Thread: Silence my bike
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Default Re: Silence my bike

Originally Posted by BarelyAWake View Post
That was prolly lil ol' me Dan Remote Intake

While I did build it with better filtering in mind (dusty/mucky off-road use) it did actually serve to help quiet the engine noticeably - at WOT in particular. Intake silencers are actually fairly common on 2 stroke ultralight engines, more common than ya might think even on 2 stroke dirtbikes, ATVs, snowmobiles, etc. as the airbox is often designed as a silencer as well.

Granted - an airbox alone wont turn yer screamin' 2smoker into a stealth mobile, but it's the cumulative effect of all the above mods that gets ya there
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Interesting thread. One more benefit to a quieter exhaust is you would be able to hear if something suddenly changes elsewhere on the bike... a rubbing sound, screech or other indicator something's not right. I also don't like disturbing everything in the forest when I ride. The quieter I am the more I see in deer and bear and such. A little noise is good to announce your presence, but too much is really offensive to all including myself. I'll be following this one to see if there are simple fixes. I'm going to try the rubber hose deal after the silencer to see what effect it has. Somebody is going to come up with something super low tech. Gotta love this forum. You guys are the best!
Very cool guys and good points. Had a thought last night and is prolly one of those things I will never get around to but a "Y" in the pipe. One going to a really stealthy muffler and one st8 pipe. So could scream fast when needed and run silent, run deep when necessary. Spring loaded to run at your preference and remote controlled via a locking clutch handle. A lil involved but easily done. Once again I am sure I am over complicating but seems to be a hobby of mine, snork.

Took the cover off my HF air cleaner and replaced with chicken wire. Looks funky but did add 200 RPM.

This really is one of the best parts of motorized bicycle riding. Tinkering, plotting an' scheming. If it weren't for you guys, I would still be trying hose clamp and duct tape a lawn mower engine to a bike....
worst apocalypse ever