View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: What kind of bike do you ride and why?

I got 3 , listed in order of riden the most

1. 1990 GT Outpost MTB, Cromoly frame, disc brake suspension front end, fat tyres and fenders. The rear drive is a self made disc mount 35t with no tensioner. I commute at 32mph on this. Its my daily ride. Came from the recycle center.

2. 1970's Speedwell Gents Sports, its a Japanese made mid level 27" mens bike fitted with 26" wheels. Front suspension, dual pull rim brakes and slick 1.5" tyres. Its my back-up bike. Its a classic I found on council cleanup. This bike runs a Grubee HD hub with a 36t sprocket and also no tensioner.

3. Apollo Verdict Shifter bike. A 700C Aluminium Hybrid. Bought it new. Its does 40+mph. I only ride it on weekends or longtrips. Also dual pull, it was converted to 5 speed from 7 after the original rear hub/cluster wore out. The 5 speed cluster (old school suntour) has taller teeth and engages heaps better than the original Shimano.

I have also built and ridden two different cruisers, their ride quality is nice. I sold them because of their poor braking and no front suspension. I do know both these issues can be fixed.

Last edited by wildemere; 05-25-2010 at 10:13 PM.