View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Default Re: American made 2 stroke

Originally Posted by meowy84 View Post
Good point Good Vibrations. What lacks today is pride in workmanship. But again how can you expect anyone (be it Americans or the Chinese that knock out the HT engines) to have pride in their workmanship when their job future may be in jeopardy or when you're being paid just enough to survive. It's modern day economic slavery. That's why Ford pioneered the $5 daily wage way back when and workers took pride in what they built.

The time when a British motorcycle was all British or an American motorcycle all American are sadly over. I doubt that even a Harley is still all American despite those nice shiny Made In USA stickers with the stars and stripes that they use to play on your heartstrings. It's more like Processed in the U.S.A. The bearings or steel and aluminum that it's made of may come from China, Indonesia or India or wherever. I doubt that the steel for your new Harley all came from American ore mines. Is it then still an American product? So we've resorted to watering down the definitions of Made In USA to use as another selling point. Now if more than 50% of the components of a product were made or even assembled here the manufacturers proudly stick the Made in USA stickers on the thing and the poor saps like me or you gobble it up.

Now when me and the old lady find ourselves in MN or NV or any of the other 50 states, hop into the back seat for a little hanky panky and 9 months later I have a newborn that's about the only thing these days made 100% in the U.S.A.

I'll get off my soap box now.
While Harley's are assembled in the US, they are largely Chinese made. Shhhh. Don't tell anyone.