Thread: Sprocket Sizes
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Sprocket Sizes

Originally Posted by Cabinfever1977 View Post
I have a 44t and weigh 125lbs and can hit around 32mph WOT. I have my engine and bike mounted in a way that there are almost no vibrations. But at WOT it sounds like im riding a timebomb with hundreds of bees(kinda like a angry dirtbike). I can take off without peddaling and can even pop a wheely if needed. Most of my rides are 1 mile to a store and 1 mile back. I can go up hills without peddaling also.

If you will be riding longer distances and want lower rpms, try a 41t or smaller but you will sacrifice some torque and may need to peddal to get going. If you just ride around the block or short distances the 44t works fine.
I use one of Jim's 38ers and well as his new motor mounts and straight shot intake.... I weigh 190 #'s.....all I have to do is pedal a couple times and kick it takes whistles up to around 18 MPH then it's like a turbo kicks computer tells me I've had it up to 34.5 MPH ....flat road... ( recently repaved )....I've used a 44 tooth on previous builds and they never even made it to 28 MPH.....and the motor sounded like a pissed off chain saw or an incoming RPG....if you don't have any steep graded hills to climb I'd go with a can cruise comfortably at 25 and the engine is barely above idle.....this also allows you to get a heck of a lot better mileage than a 44....hope this helps....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Dawg 38 tooth Speed sprocket and hub adapter.jpg (46.0 KB, 53 views)