View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 05:04 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: Silverbear's sidecar

That Watsonian you had was made for a motorcycle, is that right? I'm wondering if the old ones made for bicycles had that stabilizing third arm. Is that to keep the front end from dipping or something that comes with greater speeds? What is it's purpose? The last thing I want to do is harm this little friend of mine who trusts me and life in general. And while she is the main rider, I also have grandchildren who will want rides and perhaps neighbor children. Nobody gets harmed is the rule of the day. So, I don't want to bother and have to figure this third arm out if it isn't really necessary, but if it is then I want to make it safe. In the summer months I have the good fortune to have little traveled and very well maintained paved roads right where I live leading to the Bearhead Lake State Park in northeastern Minnesota. I don't think I'd want to use this thing in any kind of traffic or anyplace where I felt uncomfortable taking up a good bit of roadway, which it does. And I don't expect to be going more than 20 mph.. maybe 25 goosing it before an incline. Still, something coming loose at 20 mph can still spell disaster. I wear a helmet, and so will little people, but the dog goes without. Some people might be thinking... "ah come on, it's just a dog!" But that's my business. This little friend of mine saw me through some dark times when I was crippled following a lightning strike. We've spent a lot of time together and a bike trailer was for her in the first place. She's my fishing buddy and rides shotgun in the truck. My brother observed that dogs are like toddlers who get old but never become 'adults'. They are always toddlers, which is maybe why four leggeds make such good friends.
I do appreciate your comments, PJ, and realize you have a lot more experience using a sidecar than I have pushing one around the yard. Many thanks.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...