View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default exactly old frames for practice

exactly old frames for practice and are geting hard to find like hens teeth ,, i make proto types a lot of times , out of pvc pipe , and dont glue them so as for referance and measurments.. i had to get an electronic tape measure so i could see lol cost $$$$ , im think when it comes to this bicycle work stuff its all metal and that to me is a ((great need to use a metric ruler ? ))
Originally Posted by meowy84 View Post
Here's another thing to consider if you do end up using steel as a material for your frames. I'm still on my first bike build using a regular V-triangle frame but I've been contemplating boing a custom frame build myself for my next project (funny that I'm already planning my second build before my first one is completeed, I dunno if any of you guys are like that too LOL) so I called a very reputable local bike shop that dabbles in this kind of stuff since I don't yet trust my welds. The bike shop owner also said that I might want to consider what frames I'm using since all steel frame tubing material is not the same and there might be some compaibility issues wih different steels when it comes to welding. Some frames use chro-moly tubing, other, cheaper frames use other grades of steel. I have an old Fuji MTB frame and the guy said that Fuju uses their own grade steel unique to them whereas my Raleigh frame uses more common chrome-moly tubing, etc. Dunno if this is all true or not, just relaying what I was told. Maybe someone else with more materials knowleedge can chime in on this and clear things up.