View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Re: Simulated Break In Period

One thing for the guys breaking in their very first engine...

Not only are you breaking in your engine... you're getting YOURSELF broke in, as a rider of a motorized bicycle. You learn a lot in your first few weeks...

--like the fact that your brakes don't stop you NEAR as fast as they did when you were simply pedaling along...

--like how to adjust your chain tension properly to keep it on the sprocket...

--like inspecting every inch of your ride before you fire up that engine, just to save yourself the hassle of having to 'fix' crap that plain fell off or worked loose out on the road...

--like how to look down the pike, and spot all the lovely things/people that can and WILL get you hurt... things like TRAFFIC, DOGS, idiots on cell phones... and good ole Mr. Right-turn Clyde who turns in front of you while you're throttling up to get through that intersection... potholes... etc...

--Like how to deal with all the aforementioned hazards in a pro-active way that prevents you from having to jam on your brakes, stalling your engine, and potentially leaving you laying face down in the street with 40-50 pounds of bicycle sticking out of your fanny.

I just started on my first couple of gallons of 32:1 gas, and am anxious to see what happens. I ran 16:1 per manufacturer instructions for the first gallon, and rode the bike from home to my workplace about 5 1/2 miles away (an uphill trip) and back. It didn't run bad, and I kept it from WOT starting out, just taking my time and getting used to it and navigating the wicked traffic conditions that are part and parcel of city driving.

I'll definitely be expecting a little better performance now that I've cut back a little on the oil... and of course, be expecting to have to watch myself so I don't throttle myself into trouble with the traffic.

Biggest benefit and the reason I got the engine, was to cut my legs a break... Doing all that uphill riding every morning and then spending the day walking around on pavement, and THEN battling a couple of uphill climbs before the big downhill home, were getting to be a drag after 5-6 days a week, every week. LOL And the engine has certainly accomplished that mission virtually flawlessly.

My personal feeling was, if I could get 10-15 going up the hill and 20-25 on flat land... I'd be completely satisfied... and I'm already 'there' so to speak. (Knocking 15-25 MPH on a bicycle that was designed to hang in the 5-15 MPH range for the average recreational rider, to ME, is quite sufficient and pretty darn good.)