View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Thumbs up Re: thank you i talked to a welder here an....

thank you i talked to a welder here and he said>>>>> (absolutly do not weld or braze galvanized , it will kill ya <<<<<< ) i am going to work with him a while when he has time , he is between jobs right now // but i bought the Welding rods and he has me doing dots and puddles he has me doing # 6013stick and setting the apms Amp = 1/8 = .125 = 125 amp .. i am hopeing he will be able to turn me loose this sunday runing a bead .... latter thank you!!
Originally Posted by 2door View Post
Unless you get/have lots of experience stay away from aluminum. Welding it takes skill and experience not to mention specialized equipment.
That being said I'll suggest you stick with good old steel. As for sticking it together I'll also suggest you buy and get good with a nice little wire feed (MIG) welder. Brazing with an oxy/acetylene torch will work but being proficient at it takes practice and the right materials and again, equipment. The MIG welder can be mastered quickly with practice and will give you strong/safe welds. Before you start building bicycle frames I'd suggest you do some reading on basic metal working. There's more to it than simply cutting and welding things together. You'll probably get several opposing opinions on this; mine is just one.