View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default My 20's Style Touring Build

First off sorry for a new thread but the old one was cluttered and OT.

First a quick overview of my build- if you are not interested just skip to the questions (I do need help on these please).

First pic is of my build at the moment.

I used a standard, mid-size 26" rigid ATB frame, stripped of stickers etc. Rear wheel was trash and went to the scrap yard. Front wheel is a decent aluminum/ steel spoked assembly and will stay on the bike.

Brakes: unknown as of yet

Wheels: unknown as of yet

Seat: Vintage Viscount springer (makes it look like an old BMW R36 seat, look it up)

Bars: Chrome risers for a comfortable ride

Pedals: Made to be a copy of "starter pedals" used by motorcycles of the 10's and 20's, using a tiny front sprocket and large rear sprocket the ratio isn't good for much over 2 mph but works great as a backup starter and gives it that vintage look.

Motor/acessories: 2-stroke 68.5cc slanthead kit, "silver" paint job that looks okay, using kit clutch and brake levers, grips, electronics, tank, etc. Has pullstarter.

Gear: Large rear reflector, hillbilly-made headlamp (turn signal case from an old motorcycle, sawed off the rear cap, inserted a cheap LED flashlight, clamped the light to the case and used some scrap aluminum to mount to the bars), Bell toolbag with full toolkit, rear rack with 2 gallon spare gas can, motorcycle mirror off a Honda CB350, walmart digital speedo, standard tires and tubes.

Question: Would an external gearbox, Non-jackshafted, work on of these china motors? Here's my idea (See 2nd and 3rd photos for my dummy setup): Using a flipped front derailer from a bicycle, right under the motor's lower chain output. Put a lower sprocket such as a 44 or 48 in the derailer's lower gear position, and a higher sprocket like a 36, 38 or 40 in the derailer's higher position. I already thought about chain alignment but a properly spaced 2-speed shouldn't do too bad (let me know if otherwise of course). See pictures for true detail.

The goal of this whole thing is to put together a 2-speed gearbox for the stock China kit that is cheap and can be made using regular bicycle and hardware parts. 2-speeds is just right for these motors, one to start off in/hillclimb and one for cruising. That way 30mph is doable calmly and the clutch won't fry every time you take off from a stop. It would also work for stock HTs, make things a bit more universal and make the list you tell a new MBer to get easier, ie motor kit, lights, trans.

Would really like some input on this, again see 2nd and third pics for the dummy setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030178 (Large).JPG (141.5 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg P1030180 (Large).JPG (130.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg P1030181 (Large).JPG (104.7 KB, 79 views)
Motorcycles, Motor-bicycles and bicycles- two wheels and the open air is all I need.

Last edited by twowheeledfox; 04-20-2010 at 07:20 PM.