View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Default Re: Just starting out, but addicted already!

Ok, where do i start.

Advise, it's subjective and everyone has their opinions.

maybe i'll just list my points of notice, and you can make a judgement on it's relevance to your situation.

Point 1) Installing the SickBikeParts shift kit is well within your level of experience.

Point 2) You are correct in making an assessment that it may be better to start of with a new bike more suitable to the requirements, as it's exactly the process i had to go through.

Point 3) Your brakes are by far the most important aspect that decides your choice of bicycle, followed by the requirement to ideally have circular frame tubes to mount the engine and Jackshaft.

Point 4) Following on from brakes, it is ESSENTIAL, and i mean ESSENTIAL to have a bike with disk brakes, ideally with the commonly available I.S. brake mount system.
Next you will want to upgrade your front disk to the largest disk commonly available, generally being 8 inches in diameter and also replacing the standard front caliper to the most powerful mechanical caliper available, being the Avid BB7.
It doesn't matter what you do with the rest of the bike, the most important thing is to be able to stop the bike quickly and controlably in all weather conditions, even with a seriously heavy load pushing from behind.
Disk brakes still work perfectly when the braking surfaces are soaking wet, something a rim style brake hopelessly fails to do - this is by far the most critical aspect of brake performance.

Point 5) A shift kit is essential for longer distance travel and also if you have any form of hills to climb.

Point 6) A trailer is quite useful for removing neck and shoulder strain caused from carring a backpack and also carrying spare parts and tools, not to mention the load carrying capacity.
In my opinion, a uni-wheel trailer, like the BoB IBEX is the way to go, unless you need to haul serious volume and weight. In my situation, i haul everything from 20 litre (4 gallon) jerry cans to firewood and chainsaws.

Point 7) It's advantageous to have a 9 speed cassette, as you can strip apart the cassette and make your own custom ratios by combining the preferred sprockets from two cassettes, to give a seriously low first gear and good top speed without over revving the engine.

Point 8) It's also advantageous to be able to carry spare fuel in the form of aluminium drink containers with a screw on cap.

Point 9) This is purely personal preference: having both a speedo and tacho add to the experience of riding a motored bike.

Point 10) get yourself a decent horn (like the AirZound) and a decent set of lights.

Last edited by Fabian; 04-18-2010 at 02:53 PM.