Thread: Leaky gas cap
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Leaky gas cap

Originally Posted by fairracing31 View Post
There are two different types of caps that come with the kits (That I know of). The one pictured in my previous post has this rubber or plastic stuff inside which really keeps the fuel from trickling out and the fuel will come out from the cap cover. By drilling the holes it allows the fuel to drain out before it starts to spill out of the cover.

The chrome part of the cap is just a cover, and in my experience thats where the fuel always comes out of.

The other style of cap does not have that rubber or plastic and does not leak as bad in my opinion.

The biggest problem is that the cap does not seal with the rest of the part of the gas cap, but I guess if you seal it it would not vent as well. Drilling the holes seems to work for me, may not work for everyone.

Photo 1 shows the two style of caps. On left is the one with a rubber or plastic inside with the spring. The one on the right is without it.

Photos 2 & 3 show the cover off a cap with out the plastic.
Great information as always Fair I haven't had a chance to try your mod yet,I'll post the results here soon! Thank you man.