View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 07:57 AM
jeff96 jeff96 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 28
Default Re: hello from ontario

Originally Posted by Rockenstein View Post
Technically you'd be riding a bicycle. With respect to motor vehicles the federal regulations, and Ontario's HTA, make no provisions for something to be magically morphed into something else with bolt on accessories. At least 2 Canadian members on this forum found this out after spending much time and money trying to make their projects "legal".

Pocket bikes are imported into Canada as restricted use motorcycles and all must wear the federal label and serial number that identifies them as such. The regulations for restricted use motorcycles clearly stipulate that they are for closed course\closed circuit use only. No similar regulations or stipulations exist for bicycles, accessories added or not.
Hmmm I know this issue has been kicked around more than once, but I'm still not convinced a motorbicycle falls in a grey area here. The description does describe the motorized bikes on this site to a "T", however the point that bothers me is "vehicle must be insured and registered and have a valid licence plate;" New and Alternative Vehicles

Anyhow, I may have found my solution in the form of an old non-working moped: red honda moped for parts or collectible!! - Barrie Scooters, Pocket Bikes For Sale - Kijiji Barrie

Not sure what part to keep on the new project other than the licence plate.
Reply With Quote