View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Need help with some direction.

Nice find! Those are exactly the bars I have, so now you know what I was talking about when I said "like steering a plow." Cut a couple inches off the ends, and it should be a lot better.

Helmet: don't cheap on a $25 eBay helmet that claims to be DOT. I got a full face from for $65, and the composite, 3/4, and 1/2 helmets are cheaper still. And they're real helmets.

Think about a jacket, too, if you don't have a heavy leather already. I got a Fieldsheer from them for $55. Road rash is no fun.

I think I also bought that big Bell multitool thing. Yeah, the spoke wrenches on it are crummy, but you'll find the allen wrenches indispensable. Plus, you have a tire change kit along with it, and it's all small enough to fit in a little seat bag. I ended up using a crescent wrench to loosen some of the tighter spokes, so that the spoke wrenches would turn them.

You won't need a torque wrench unless you plan on removing the cylinder head. You will need new nuts and bolts for the tensioner bracket, because the stock ones will strip before they get tight enough to hold the tensioner in place, so use the kit ones to see how much pressure it takes to strip out the crappy hardware. Now you'll have a good idea of the amount of torque that's too much for the mounting bolts.