View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Default re: 60 MPH...achieveable? Who cares?!? Let blueprint an engine!

Step 2

The following pics show just how much the bearings were out of alignment in the factory assembly. Look at the photos and you will see a drastic overlap of the case edges. In the real world of "precision" the bearings were totally jammed up. Would anyone care to venture a guess as to how much horsepower this robs? I'll say at least 1 H.P. The crankshaft, and the countershaft must float in the bearings. Putting them in a bind greatly reduces H.P., R.P.M. and engine life.

I now know why so many people say that the engine doesn't "break-in" and start running good until having been run for many miles/hours. I'm going to assume that the cases shuffle, (there is no positive register), into a better bearing alignment over time. This, of course, would allow the crank and countershaft to spin more freely and thereby transform internal friction into rear wheel H.P.

Given the badly misaligned case, I would have figured that the bearing centerlines were different from case half to case half...which would have posed a real problem. Fortunately they bored the center to center distance perfectly on each half...and I mean PERFECTLY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (471.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (531.0 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (530.4 KB, 98 views)