View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Need help with some direction.

Basically a set of metric allen wrenches, a chain tool to shorten the drive chain as needed, a 8mm, 10mm and 15mm metric wrenches, an 8" adjustable wrench, pliers and a can or tube of general purpose grease will get you going. Not to be insulting but at your weight it might be a good idea to find a bike that can handle larger tires such as 26" X 2.125, at least on the rear wheel.
These motorbikes are a lot of fun but will take tinkering to keep them going, reliability isn't their strong point. There is a bit of risk since most bicycles brakes aren't anything to brag about especially when heavily loaded and riding in the 20mph range. They don't stop fast under those conditions. You'll need to accept the possibility of a rear wheel jamming and dumping you on the ground, it happened to me when the idler sprocket loosened up and dropped the chain into the wheel. I don't want to be a wet blanket but just wanted to make sure you know some of the possible downsides as well as the fact that as long as you know their shortcomings and can accept the risk they are fun. But remember these things aren't engineered like a motor scooter, motorcycle or automobile.

I've dealt with Gasbike, Bike Berry and Piston Bikes who advertise here and was fully satisfied with the transactions.
Goldwing 1500, Silverwing 600, Schwinn 49