View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Problem with chain.

Originally Posted by bairdco View Post
the chains will "bounce" around on all these engines. they're pretty jerky. it's just a matter of "how much."

if your sprocket is a little off center, but not too loose as to derail the chain, and not too tight like it's trying to pull the engine off, just go with it.

pretty much every bicycle chain has hi and low spots in them also. usually because of the force pedaling, it'll elongate the hole in the sprocket the crank sets in (on a one piece crank) or will tweak the actual sprockets with three piece cranksets. or if the sprocket isn't "true" side to side.

also, when installing the wheel, you need to find the tightest spot in the chain when tightening it down. if you don't, when the wheel rotates to that spot, it's gonna be way too tight.
Ok well after trying to line up the sprocket a bit it seems to have gotten a little better. I'll actually test it tomorrow and also try what you said about finding the tightest spot and tightening it when it's too tight and see how that works out. I was also thinking of a way to center up the sprocket 100%. If I could bring the wheel down to Home Depot and get a metal, or brass pipe that is just the right size as the hole in the sprocket that would ensure me that the entire sprocket is even. Going to try that this weekend. Let you know how it turns out.