View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Re: ignition timing adjustment methods

yes ive thought of that too one method was a controlled 360 to 355 degree delay line
thattook a sample of engine rpm and pre calculated the timing for the next revolution "a way of getting a pulse before the pulse came along " but programming a pic controller isnt in everybodies toolkit the other would be getting a 3 wire cdi that has electronic advance circutry built in and hoping that there was enough energy "voltage current and timing"
but i have been very dissappointed at the exciter coil output power "possibly due to that weak magnet they use
so i was back at trying to trick the factory cdi into firing at a different time
and comming to the conclusion that it must fire at the zero crossing point to not be affected much by varying rpm magnet gap coil voltage etc"
the bias voltage on the ground return wire can be kept in check by back to back zeeners
and filtered with a non polar electrolytic with the applied bias voltage comming from a half wave rectifier from the lighting circut with a transistors bias controlled by a pulse with circut
but frist test would be to just put a low voltage battery in series on the cdi ground return line and see how much and if its consistant throught the rpm range the timing change
then a graph can bemade so a controller circut can be built
it should only have 3 connections 1 frame ground 2 lighting coil and 3 the ground return from the cdi
the exciter wire can be left alone anyway theres no need to have to midify that wavefourm
well off to testing hope we can beat the little black box lol
ps i think theres only a rectifier cap darlington pair and coil in that thing "it cant be that complicated"
theres defenantally no fancy timing circuts in there lol

ps ive added a block digraphan

Last edited by highseastravler; 03-18-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: new info