View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: introducing my self and asking some questions

Awesome, another person from IL! I'm in Kendall County.

I have a 48cc on a Schwinn Landmark, and it goes just fine. And I'm not small by any stretch of the imagination.

Brakes, from worst to best: crashing into a solid object, Flintstone foot on the ground, coaster, caliper, v-brake, drum, disc. (Although there's little difference between those last two, and there's plenty of argument to be made for drum brakes being more dependable in wet weather.)

Coaster brakes will stop your bike; they're essentially just drum brakes. But they're small compared to an add-on cable operated drum brake. They're fine at pedaling speeds on a cruiser, but at motorized bicycle speeds, they can overheat easily.

If you're trying to stay on a budget, make sure the bike you buy has a place on the front fork where you can mount a caliper brake. If you have a little extra money to spend, buy a Walmart bike that has V-brakes instead of a coaster (you'll end up with a seven-speed, too).

Or watch Craigslist, police auctions, garage sales, and pick up a used bike with decent brakes. You're more likely to find a mountain bike than a cruiser, but it's worth a shot.

Cheap, new, good brakes - pick two.

Oh regarding engine size and braking - the top speed difference between the two engines is negligible. What the 66/80 has over the 50 is power, so it'll get to that top speed faster, climb hills better. I've heard that the 50s will rev higher than the 66/80s, even, and top RPMs equals top speed. If you have to choose, pick the 66/80.

Last edited by Nougat; 03-12-2010 at 09:22 AM.