View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 05:51 PM
minor bike philosopher
Default Re: happy mechanic (sorta)

I'm about to wax philosophical so somebody shut me up quick.... Too late here it comes.

My dad used to tell me that a man is never happier than when he works with his hands. He knew it was true but didn't know why. I think over my sixty odd years I have figured at least part of it out.

Most of us work in a world where we do a job, then the next day the job is right there to be done over. Everything from store clerks to accountants suffer from the same thing.

A whole lot of us work but we don't do work. When you change a tire on your bike you get to step back and say, hey by god I did that. When I changed the rings in my bike before it ever ran a mile (thanks to norman) I felt like the smartest guy in town.

When I ride the bike and someone asked, "Did you build that?" It really feels great to say, "I sure did."

These bike don't just get us from a to b, they redefine us. We are all winners because even if this piece of china crap humiliated us for a while, we fought it till we won. How many times in life do you win and know it instantly.

When that engine comes to life and zips off across the parking lot with people watching, I can feel like a winner. I was a photographer for years and raised a family but I never had that instant satisfaction of knowing I beat the crap out of this thing. Yes by George you humiliated me the first few days, but in the end I WON.

What I am trying to say is that you should feel good about every little victory, there are darn few of them in life these days.
My posts have entertainment value only. A bike ain't yours till it has your blood on it. Then it owns you.