View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Yet another white wire question

Originally Posted by Sharksfan View Post
Can any one tell me if I could use this head light and run it off of the white wire? I really need a good lighting solution because some of my commute is pretty dark and I am tired of the standard bike light fail rate.

Cev Sealed Beam headlight black 6 volt 20 Watt [CEV-2139b] - $24.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
You said that only some of your commute requires the 20w headlight. Run the light off a 6v SLA battery. Then run the white wire through a single diode to keep the battery trickle charged. Because of your large headlight, you will only be able to run it about 10 or 15% of the time without depleting the battery. Choose the battery accordingly. Each amp-hour will give you about 15 minutes of continuous headlight run time. Besides acting as a rectifier, the diode will prevent the connection from killing the spark output.

I use a complete setup (brake light, headlight, tail light, turn signals, horn) that includes a much smaller headlight that I use occasionally. The 1.3ah sla battery has stayed charged after 7 months and 1000 miles.