intro and a whole string of questions
Hi forum members
I am new to the world of powered cycling and have no experience, just a whole string of questions. I am impressed by the experience/knowledge displayed on this site and am hoping to tap into it as I commence my own "journey" to powered cycling. So here goes. Any answers/guidance would be welcomed:
1. most of the pictured 2 stroke motors I see on this site and on a host of others from the US, Australia, China etc, show motors with casings and parts that look identical although they are branded and priced differently, ranging from as little as us$185, to as high as us$500. Are there genuinely a variety of different (but similar looking) motors out there with differing performance and quality, or are they all just one design, sourced from a factory or two in China, and the different prices reflect different deals by middlemen and different profit margins? If the latter, then why not buy direct from China and cut out the middleman?
2. I live in South Africa, and many of the vendors in other countries will not dispatch to a foreign country, many simply ignore my inquiry e-mails. Is there a dealer out there who is prepared to quote me an all-in price for a kit delivered to my country?
3. I own an old Trek 7000 all-aluminium mountain bike, which I am looking to convert with a 49cc 2-stroke kit. Any comments from the experienced on the suitability of this frame? It has front suspension only and seems to have the right dimensions. However,I imagine the stresses on a frame are considerably higher than for an unpowered bike, factoring in the added weight and higher average speeds of a powered bicycle. Do members advise strengthening/upgrading key parts such as wheel rims, wheel bearings, spokes, steering head bearings, brakes, chain, pedals, derailleur etc to cope with these stresses and still deliver a safe ride?
4. Most members of this and other forums use their bikes as highly economical commuters etc, but I have yet to find members' threads who have set up their MTB's for serious power-assisted MTB trail riding. I would love to hear from guys who have built purposeful offroad conversions and what experiences, kits, do's and don'ts and modifications they recommend.
5. There is not much comment on the blogs on expected engine life. What is a realistic mileage (or Km'age) to expect from a typical 49cc 2 stroke motor kit of Chinese origin? Is it something that one must expect to throw away after three years or 10000 km, or will it go on and on?
Enough to start with. hope I get some good info, and thanks for an excellent, high level forum.