Thread: Just Plain Oil
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Just Plain Oil

Wayne, I think you make a good point, but I'm kind of in love with my 2-stroke. The weight is my thought. Those 4-stroke are heavy. I'm heavy. The trailer I'm carrying is going to be heavy. I'm getting one of the Camp-Rite trailer/tent-cots and it only holds so much weight. Kamp-Rite :: Bicycle Trailers :: Midget Bushtrekka
I wouldn't want to carry more than a quart of oil. Even at 25:1 that's 6+ gallons. I'm getting around 38 to 45 miles to a tank. So a conservative 32 x 2 x 6 = 384 miles out of a quart. I think I can find more oil in that range. Worst case scenario I will have to use regular oil. I've had to do it on an old yamaha two stroke and though it ran like ****, it got me out of the sticks and then ran fine after that.

2-door, you make a good point on how little Opti-2 you have to use, therefore I would get more use per pound of oil, a good weight issue. Something I may just think about. One gallon could last the entire trip. What is your stand on issues going back and forth between regular 2-stroke and Opti-2, I assume it would be to much of a shock and then I would be stuck in Ecuador with no engine, not a good thing. Have you had any experience going back and forth between the two in one engine. Thanks.