View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 04:11 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: good score at the dump

I love shopping at the landfill. Last summer I found a perfect frame and fork from a 1950 Schwinn straightbar (Hornet) which has since been stripped, painted, an in-frame gas tank purchased (sportscarpat's original Motorbike tank), found an original feather guard for the chain and a NOS rear rack. Next summer it will get new heavy duty wheels, motor and go up for sale. Pretty cool find. I also found a 24" girl's bike which I have since learned is a 1955 Huffman. It will get stripped and painted this spring and made ready for a motor next summer. It also feels good to know you've saved something from the crusher which deserves to live on. At my local landfill I go a couple times a week, always with some metal to dispose of which is my excuse for being at the metal pile and gives me entry to the landfill. I'm very good at spotting a frame or wheel buried down under. No charge for what you find, either. Cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02575.JPG (263.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02521.JPG (282.9 KB, 55 views)
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...