View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 10:43 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Originally Posted by Evan View Post
I work in the printing industry (newspapers etc.) and am using old 'blankets' as cushions everywhere something bolts to the frame. They seem to really cut down on vibrations. They are basically rubber sheets backed with canvas so they are quite durable. You could probably go to the local print shop (minuteman etc.) and ask if they have any used "blankets" I have pretty much an endless supply so if anyone has trouble finding them I would be willing to send them out if you pay the postage. I can't imagine an 8.5 x 11 sheet would cost more than a buck or 2 to mail. Or if you know a pressman you should be set. Feel free to email me
That's a good tip, Evan. In a similar spirit of using what's available and works, I make my own moccasins and mukluks out of elk hide. I use scraps as pads wherever something bolts to the frame. Part of my motivation is that I just finished painting an old Elgin bike and want to protect it. So, I cut the pieces to size and then use a bit of contact cement to glue the leather onto the part... not on the frame itself but the part, including engine mounts. This works very well, protects the paintand no doubt helps a bit with vibration and noise.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...