View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 11:51 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes
Default Re: Pre War Frame+RAW Kit

i didn't think it was a schwinn, either. the straightbar isn't right, with that little downturn at the head tube, and the way it joins with the top tube in the back at the seat tube. and the rear triangle and dropouts are just, wrong. not to mention the quality of brazing. schwinns are way better.

so, i looked around, and found out what it is (i'm pretty sure.)

it's either a Huffman "dial-your-ride" or a Huffy "Radiobike." which is basically the same bike. the huffman is late fortys, and the radiobike is mid to late '50's.

but don't feel bad that it's not a schwinn, if you could restore it to original (good luck ) it'd be worth ten times as much as a schwinn would go for.

a radiobike sold for $4400 at the Copake auction, and the only dial a ride i saw for sale was beat, and went for $950 on ebay.

don't get all excited and think you can turn over your bike for a profit, though. the reason those bikes are worth so much is because one's got a radio, and the other has a springer fork you can adjust with a dial. without those, you just got a cool, vintage huffy (and by the way, the radio bike was probably the last quality bike huffy made. after that, they pretty much went way down in quality.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiobike.jpg (38.4 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg 49 huffman dial your ride.jpg (154.8 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by bairdco; 11-16-2009 at 11:55 PM.