View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 03:00 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Thumbs up Re: Pea soup headlight

Thanks SB, making something up pretty much as you go and ending up with a working product that you can say is uniquely your own is enjoyable to say the least. Seeing the finished product of others that might happen to get inspired by a project such as this is very cool too

So since I'm mounting the lens without the aid of the original shroud I needed to get it sitting in the can flush, snug, centered and somewhat sealed. The method that I came up with to accomplish those things is a leather gasket sealing against the rim of the can plus the ID of the trim ring/visor part that's yet to be cut and put in place. Sealing and centering the lens to the ID of the can is a strip of Felpro's cork gasket making material, I feel I got lucky as it was the perfect thickness to do the job! Bonding the leather and the cork to the lens was done with contact cement applied with a small'ish tipped artists paint brush. To get the ID of the leather gasket cut out in a reasonably neat fashion I used a paper template tacked to the leather via a glue stick. Took me a couple of tries to get the ID of the gasket right but hey I got a whole couch worth of leather to play! I'll trim the OD of the leather gasket later when I get the trim ring/visor part attached. Next part I'll be working on is the rear mount which will allow me to secure the lens and service the light if required.

Last edited by Rockenstein; 04-17-2011 at 02:10 AM.