Thread: spokes on wheel
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: spokes on wheel

Originally Posted by BarelyAWake View Post
The rubber mounted "clamshell" "ragmount" (whatever ya wanna call the kit supplied POS lol) is designed for a conventional 36-spoke wheel as are most of the alternates. While you can of course make it work with more spokes and many have - it starts to get to be a nightmare.

It's far easier and in some ways better to go for a heavier gauge spoke than more of them, unless it's the fashion yer after but remember that even the heaviest gauge spoke won't do you a bit of good if it's laced into a cheesy walmart single-wall marshmallow-alloy rim lol
If I'm not mistaken "clamshell" refers to the expensive type Jim used to make and they are not that bad. Just a huge disppointment if you change bikes. I prefer the stock rag/rubber because they are better at shock absorption and take less time for me to install.

I'm also partial to "cheesy walmart single-wall marshmallow-alloy rims" because they are light, don't rust, and cheap. Haven't had bent rim problems in thousands of miles but then again I try to avoid 2' deep potholes and don't drive over curbs.