View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: High Speed Rear Blowouts

Originally Posted by bairdco View Post
i like the dark ages. and besides, they've had three piece cranks since the late 1800's. and overhauling an ashtabula type one piece crank is a lot easier and a few hundred dollars cheaper than a new euro bottom bracket. and you only need one wrench.
Make that a pedal wrench a large farmer's tool (adjustable wrench) and a screwdriver. Don't really know what you mean by "euro" bottom bracket. But with a cartrige style BB or an even newer outboard bearing BB you do need a wrench for the crank bolts (self extracting) and the BB socket. We can have a crank and BB swap race if you like. 8-) And you can get cart. BBs for like $25. Slap it in and forget it, no adjustments at all.

i'm not arguing, i actually understand and agree with what you're saying about high-end bikes, but nobody's putting motors on 10,000 dollar road bikes. not that i've seen, anyway. and it would be funny if someone did, because they'd end up with a motored bike that's slower than they could pedal.
I'll go with you on the $10k thing but there is a wide gulf between a walmart $99 special and that 10 grand puppy. For just a couple hundred bucks at a bike store you can get a bike that is lightyears ahead of the dep store junk. Does everyone need it? Of course not, but it sure could make life easier. I was planning on motoring a Kona 29er that I've got but come to think about it I might have to put that puppy on an old Airborne Ti frame that's not doing anything! LOL

i've never had one just suddenly slip and get cut. it usually takes a few days or weeks of neglect before that happens. it's a 5 minute fix.
Same here.