View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Re: chain help please view...

You have my sympathy as I too am not riding because of chain (and tensioner) troubles. I bought a chain breaker (only separates chain, will not reconnect) at Northern Tools for $12.99 to break the #415 kit chain. The pin on the tool broke on the first attempt. I went back and exchanged it for another that also broke on the first attempt. I went to a small independent hardware and bought a third one for $18.99 that has a pin too short to drive out the chain pin. The Walmart $4.99 broke on the first attempt. The writer who said his 415 chain was easy to break should buy a few lottery tickets. I bought a #41 chain from TSC and just beat the dickens out of it and finally got it apart without tearing it up, now can't get it together.
I read in the forum that a BMX 1/2 x 1/8 chain will work as a drive chain on the China kits. Is this true? The Walmart 1/2 x 1/8 chain is for single and three speed bikes and said on the package not for motorized bikes. It seems to bind on my drive sprocket and I fear to try to run it, but the clearance for the frame (stay) would be good. Is the BMX 1/2 x 1/8 different from the (regular?) 1/2 x 1/8 chain. All I do know for now is that this will drive you nuts......