View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Disc brake modification

Originally Posted by huckersteve View Post
I would love to hear how running this setup goes if you elect to run disc rear brakes. I think mounting the motor drive to the spokes, on a properly dished wheel, and then mounting your rotor normally, would seem to be a clean solution and ought to work well. I am an MTB nut myself and would love to see one of these kits built up on a real quality MTB frame. With great braking I think I would take my motorbike many strange and exciting places indeed..
I think current 9 speed and older 8 speed cassettes might have too much dish (as was my problem with sprocket hitting frame) Way old seven speeds or singles I imagine would be best.

Years ago, when I was hardcore into mtn biking (20,000miles/year) I had dreams of having a detachable engine I could stash in some bushes at the bottom of tahoe, drive up, ride down Mr. Toad's Wild Ride or the Flume trail, then hook up the engine and motor back to the car. (This was after my riding buddies either moved, married, and/or had kids and stopped riding. Five years of solo riding sucked. I haven't ridden in six)
So yeah, a mountain bike with a throttle rocks!