Thread: muffler/noise
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: muffler/noise

Originally Posted by lokerman View Post
Just finished the intake silencer and man, that works AWESOME!! I can't hardly hear anything from there! But now I can hear the engine in a way I never have before. There's this snapping crackling sound with each ignition in the engine. So I have a couple questions still. The first one is: Does anyone have an idea of what would be the most common cause of really really heavy fuel leakage near the carburetor after having had it off and basically after doing the job I did, because as soon as I started going, it started dripping so much it was nearly a stream behind me. The fuel lines aren't the culprit, but I don't know what is. I haven't been able to get it apart to figure it out, but I was hoping that somebody reading this might be able to at least point me in the right direction in order to save me some time when I do finally go to get at the heart of the leak? The second question is, do you think it might work to put a muffler on the muffler? What I mean is, I saw some small engine mufflers at Menard's(like home depot) that looked about the right size to add to my bike muffler, with a little tampering. So I was wondering if that's a good idea, and also what kind of sealant can be used for temps that high? In case I'm not clear, I'm going to have to seal some of the perimeter with some sort of epoxy type material or something, but don't know of a kind that withstands that kind of heat. Anybody know? (Thanks for reading through this long post BTW)
Sounds like a great job of you silencing the intake....I don't really know what it sounds like as I'm almost deaf and apparently the intake *whine* is high pitched which is exactly what I don't hear... I do hear low bike sounds like a weedeater on steroids......but anyways....there's some high temp silicone glue that's available at most auto parts stores....up to 700 degrees.....that might help...I dunno....but can you post some snapshots of your build ?....I'd really love to see how you improvised !