Thread: Sprockets
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 02:07 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: Sprockets

Originally Posted by AaronF View Post
Thanks for the input so far.I plan to have money next month for some upgrades over stock,I'd like to get a sprocket from Kings sale and service but can't afford that so eh spookytooth has a 36t chainring sprocket for $10 Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Black Splat - 36T Chainring

If i am right,upgrading the sprocket to a smaller size will help the engine in the long run but how much speed will i gain from a smaller sprocket and will i lose acceleration at all?
I just switched from a 44t to my first 36t about a week ago. It is the best decision I ever made. Then again, my regular commutes are about 5-10 miles with few stops on flat ground and 35 MPH traffic. The only thing I noticed is you need to pedal about 1-2 mph faster before clutching. The low end acceleration (5-10 mph) is slow but once you pass 10 it accelerates you just as fast as the 44t only at a faster speed. IMO, my bike feels alot more like a motorcycle with the 36t as I can cruise very comfortably around 25-30 and even 35. Haven't pushed it past 35 but it def could.