View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 05:08 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Skeptics Review of SBP Tuned Pipe

Originally Posted by BarelyAWake View Post
Hmm, due to Venice's duct tape comment I took another look... what is that doing for ya? o_O
Oh..ok... the jig is up. It's a chain guard. I need access to service the chain and swap engines so often so out with that stock black metal guard, in with the duct tape. Keeps the lower 6" of my jeans from jamming in the sprocket and locking rear wheel. Even a new pair from Walmart adds up.

Originally Posted by BarelyAWake View Post
BTW, ya might wanna flip the manifold plate around so the loop for the springs is underneath, making the springs wrap around the pipe. This provides a more uniform pressure and holds everything together better.

You defo wanna get both springs on there, they're all that are holding the pipe together. Those springs are so prone to breaking from vibration and heat combined with time that they are usually backed up with a safety-wire tether (something I've been too lazy to attend to lol).

Having a second one reduces the stress and provides a "second chance" should the other fail. I really don't wanna run over my exhaust system at any speed
Spring on the bottom results in contact with the downtube. I tried putting two springs on but, again, downtube contact and hooks on the ends didn't seem as secure.

That safety wire idea (as you can see I'm very fond of wire) is definitely on my list.