View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Re: ultralight/moped anyone?

Hi, I'm new to this forum but thought I could kick in my two cents. I'm not an expert pilot by any means, and I may not have thousands of hours of stick time but I do have a pilots license and have spent a some time flying an ultralight. I also attend one of the top engineering schools in the country and my thoughts on the subject are this, I doubt it's possible to use only one moped engine to get off the ground, but as long as your designing and building it yourself, why not use two. One push and one pull should do the job if you keep the weight down. I am forming my own ultralight design team on campus and this is one of our major hurdles. We considered electric bicycle motors but all the ones we came across that were even close to able to do the job were too expensive and the batteries way way way too heavy. All the rest are Chinese knock offs of the originals and barely function. (few hundred dollars down the drain). That's when I considered using a gas engine, but one simply wouldn't do the job. They are however light and reliable enough to use two without much trouble. Everything's still on the drawing board but it seems to be coming together nicely. Don't give up man, anything's possible you just have to want it bad enough.