View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: ultralight/moped anyone?

Hmm, I looked around a bit and came up with this ol goody;

'The Lazair Twin ultralight aircraft'

"The original proto-type flew with two 5 horsepower Pioneer chainsaw engines that spun composite fixed pitched propellers. Later models were updated to two Rotax 185 engines which produced 9.5 HP each."

Lazair ultralight aircraft, Lazair experimental aircraft, Lazair experimental light sport aircraft (ELSA), Lightsport Aircraft Pilot News newsmagazine.

Not that far off from what yer sayin' other than having two engines ofc It's a nice plane, I remember seeing these with the larger rotax motors that came later. Although a twin, it doesn't fly the best on only one - it pulls hard and wants to wingover. It does glide quite well tho, most of the true ultralights do.

Seriously, if your interested go for it! Flying is unbelievable to say the least. I would like to mention that nice used ultralights with quality components and proven aerodynamics are fairly common. If it's the build yer after there are kits too - I'm not tryin' to nay say, but there's been a few broken bones tryin to figure these things out lol