Thread: Shift Kit?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Shift Kit?

I'm not exactly sure how my neighbor did it but he managed to get the chain wrapped twice around the bottom bracket on what used to be my Mamba. Took me a little while to get it unwrapped. Stock freewheel held up. Rear derailleur needed a little twisting back into shape.

I adjusted derailleur to just barely make it into 1st, He may have gone over the top of the gears and into the spokes.

Totally agree with MikeJ on doing the harder setup so you can get the clutch cover off. I also use snaps instead of screws for the rear half of the clutch cover (craft store or leatherworking supply) so you can check on the jackshaft sprocket easily.

Right now I am trying to figure out how to have a stock bike chain guard and the shift kit. I have a little time while breaking in a new engine.

Oh yeah, don't let a shift kit be your first build, too many things may go wrong and you just get all confused. Then there is the added joy when you switch over to the shift kit and you get all the torque and speed possible. I'm not saying you can't do it just that it does make it a bit more complex.
Map your motorized bikes location on a Frappr Map show us where you are and post a pic of your bike.

If trailer parks didn't exist would tornadoes exist?