View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 07:09 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Re: Motorizing Tandem

Originally Posted by TheDeke View Post

Yes, the motor is forward, just like a single. Prior to the Dax China Doll, I had a 32 cc Sears weedeater engine mounted on the rear driving a Golden Eagle setup. That engine was just too weak to do much good without straining it. I put that setup on my wife's 24 in. bike. It's taking her a little time to get used to it. But it's a match made in heaven.

For my tandem, I had to buy another length of chain and a couple more chain guards from Dax. It's a lot more quiet than the Sears weedeater. During this breakin it looks like I'll get 150 mpg. But I pedal a lot, too. I put the engine on to make bike riding fun for me again. Albuquerque looks flat but it has serious grades. The valley floor at the Rio Grande is at about 4900 ft. elev. The valley rises to about 5800 ft. at the foot of the mountain range. (The Sandia Mountains which form the easter boundary of the city peak at over 10,000 ft. elev.). The 48.8 cc China Doll is exactly what the doctor ordered. It makes the hills and grades invisible to me.

I hope ThatsDax is reading this. Good product; good installation instructions; happy rider. The local bike shop guys have christened the bike "Frankenbike."

wow look at all the water bottles.....
"If you don"t like the Blues theres a hole in your soul" BB KING