Thread: 100:1 Mix
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 04:01 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: 100:1 Mix

Well tbh I had not the courage to try the 100:1 Amsoil (well, actually I couldn't find any heh), but I did switch to the Amsoil 50:1 flavor...

Mine lil motorized bicycle got a bit hot and bothered by it. At the recommended 50:1 ratio, after zipping about for a bit and bringing her home to check things, I shut her down and was serenaded by quite a LOT of metal contraction noises. I don't need a temp gauge to inform me that I had just abused my motor a bit. Usually after a ride I'll get a "ting" or too as she cools, this was a veritable symphony of complaint. However...

While I was riding, I noticed she ran a lil smoother - not ignition mind you, that hadn't changed, but the high vibration had smoothed a bit and this was particularly noticeable at top speed. I said "hmmm o_O" So I drained the tank and mixed up a batch at the good ol 32:1 and sure nuff - she loved it. At max RPM she doesn't quite sound like she's about to explode in a shrapnel cloud of recycled beer cans, the piston head and plug base are no longer black and gooey, and it may be just the weather (planets lined up, equinox, third Tuesday of the month, w/e) but I seemed to have gained a solid 1.5 MPH.

Yeah... I know... a WHOLE 1 mile per hour OMG w00t! Well, as fellow MBers I figure y'all understand how much even that means lol Actually, as a blowboater (sailboat fer u landlocked types) that has a normal top speed of a whopping 12mph or so - I'm used to this "fractional gain" game

I know I have sinned, this was not about 100:1 oils... Yet I wanted to throw out a lil positive about the synthetic, particularly the Amsoil - as there has been some maligning of late. Despite not being able to run the advertised mix ratio, I'm still interested in trying out the 100:1 - even if I need run a heaver mix as not to slag my lil engine.

I think I had a point somewheres around here...

Oh RIGHT! Synthetics are definitely superior, I've used them in almost all my engines over the years, yet there is still no such a thing as a "mechanic in a bottle" and don't expect the seas to part or a burnin bush (unless you spilled fuel), listen to yer baby - she'll tell you what she wants

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 08-27-2009 at 04:03 AM.