Wanting to build a motorized stingray in WI!

GoldenMotor.com

ody

May 11, 2009
Wausau WI
Hi everyone I'm new here and happy to have found this forum. I'm looking to build some old style muscle bikes into motor bikes. I have a few schwinnish frames in the bike pile waiting to become cooler than the mere bicycle. If anyone has pictures of bikes don up like that I'd love to see them.

I have some experience with modifying bikes. My buddy and I have made a few big chopper bikes welding and bending the frames by hand and hes also build a board track style motor bicycle that i have been nagging him to finish.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Deadairshow

Apr 26, 2009
Indianapolis, Indiana
Welcome to the Forum! I built this bike (my first) off of a 1978 Schwinn Stingray frame this past summer. I now have just under 400 miles on the motor and she is still running very strong. I just repacked the rear wheel, cleaned the carb, re tightened the clutch, and put a new exhaust on the bike.

My Specs as of Nov 6th:

Frame: 1978 Schwinn Stingray Scrambler

Wheels: 20'' 48 spoke coaster brake rear, 20'' 48 spoke front

Fork: Bikedesigner.com 20'' straight springer fork

Tires: Kenda 20 X 1.95 tires

Pedal Drive: 34 T front 18 T rear

Engine: Grubee Starfire Gen II-A 50cc (48 cc) Slant head, Rubber Mounted

Engine Drive: 11 T Front 36 T rear with 415 chain and no tensioner

Tank: Stock 1/2 Gallon

Exhaust: Spooky Tooth Skyhawk Expansion Exhaust made by Grubee (with about an inch to spare from rubbing the front tire)

Carb: Stock

Air Cleaner: Stock

Spark Plug: NGK B6HS (So much better than the stock plug)

Spark Plug Wire: Napa Fiber Wire and boot

Odometer Reading: 392.7 miles

The pictures I have posted are from the completion of the bike.
Tinker away! .wee.

-Danny

"He who knows best knows how little he knows"

Attachments

ody

May 11, 2009
Wausau WI
Deadairshow great bike, that's exactly what Im looking to do straight springer maybe even an extended one. I'm looking to do a bit of a 60s chopper bicycle with a custom molded in gas tank. Any issues with tires? eventually I'd like one with a whizzer motor and I know its going to need moped rims and tires. I think I might build one of theses instead of revamping my moped this winter.

Deadairshow

Apr 26, 2009
Indianapolis, Indiana
No issues with tires. I was able to put on a 2.125 semi slick on the rear as opposed to the 1.95 and I still have a little space so the chain doesn't rub on it. Any updates on your end?